The General Commission for Survey (GCS) is the national geospatial agency of the Government of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA). It has the national responsibilities for geodesy, topography, photogrammetry and hydrography.
The responsibility for hydrography is part of the GCS mandate. Through this newly created hydrographic department, GCS represents the National Hydrographic Office of the KSA
The purpose of this project is to ensure that a third party conducts QC/QA on the Hydrographic Data Management (HDM) project, to meet the project specifications and objectives, including compliance with the IMO/IHO convention.
- Evaluating and selecting the necessary hardware and software solutions for the operation of a hydrographic, oceanographic and marine sciences service.
- Developing the work processes and the necessary Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) needed to establish operational capability for all services.
- Training GCS staff in all work processes and the use of the application software.
- Establishing a quality management system (QMS) that can be certified against ISO 9001.
- Developing the capability in GCS to support a Marine Spatial Data Infrastructure based on international standards (ISO 191xx), and in particular the IHO S-100 suite of hydrographic standards as well as support the integration requirement.
- Deploying all the developed sub-systems to establish operational capability for all services.